BTC Broadband Job Openings
The Network Engineer is responsible for the management of core network equipment and key network interconnects. Works closely with other departments to achieve operational goals. Participate in service design, transition, operation, and continual service improvement stages of service management as it applies to the core network. Provides 3rd Level Support for incident escalations and problem management. Coordinates with vendors for design considerations and incident/problem resolution. Contributes to and maintains standards and documentation.
Core Network Management
- Design, implement, and maintain core network equipment, routing, switching, interconnects, and applications used for the delivery of core network services and applications to internal and external customers (peering, transit, L2/L3 VPN, DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.)
- Create and maintain core network diagrams, documentation, and service configuration models
- Incorporate core network equipment and services into FCAPS management systems
- Core network availability, capacity, and performance management
- Design, implement, and maintain methods to track and report on key performance indicators of availability, capacity, and performance
- Design, implement, and maintain alarming/alerting capability when KPI thresholds are exceeded
- Make formal design recommendations to improve KPI and/or reduce operational costs or risks
- Establish, document, and implement routines and controls to ensure achievement of operational goals and service level requirements
- Manage network operator assets, accounts, and agreements
- ARIN: POCs, Org IDs, NETs, ASNs
- Peering and NNI information for agreements with other network operators
- Service Order Management
- Monitor work queue for service orders requiring core network change requests
- Identify and develop procedures for Standard Change Requests that can be delegated to Service Desk
- Incident and Problem Management
- Respond to internal incidents and customer incident escalations from Service Desk
- Track recurring incidents to identify problems for root cause determination
- Work with vendor support for incident resolution or to identify and remediate root cause as needed
- Provide or obtain subject matter expertise for service design and operation efforts in interactions with Service Desk, Central Office, and Systems
- Work with project teams under the supervision of the project manager
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
DISTINCTION OF POSTION LEVELS:
- Level I – performs job at a satisfactory level, but may require regular supervision.
- Level II – performs job at a satisfactory level and requires occasional coaching.
- Level III – exhibits skill mastery, little or no coaching required
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
The required specifications (education, experience, and skills) are those that the employee must have to hold the position. Applicants applying for this position must possess the required specifications in order to be considered for the job. The desired specifications are those that are not required for the employee to hold the position but the employee should try to obtain the desired education, experience, and/or skills to be effective and successful in the position.
- Required education: 2 years College degree in a technology-related field, or combined relevant certifications, experience, and/or training.
- Desired education: 4 years College degree in a technology-related field, or combined relevant certifications, experience, and/or training.
- Required experience: 2+ years experience in telecommunications or IP networks.
- Desired experience: 4+ years experience in telecommunications or IP networks.
- Required skills: Proficiency of use of Windows desktop operating systems and productivity applications. Network configuration, diagnostic, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills (CCNA level or above). Common network and network management protocols. Ability to solve complex network problems independently, quickly, and completely. Communicate clearly and effectively with customers, peers, supervisor, and other department members through verbal and non-verbal communication. Documentation and diagram skills. 55+ WPM.
- Desired skills: SDN, automation, scripting, Metro Ethernet, JunOS, Brocade NetIron, BGP, OSPF, MPLS family of protocols, VoIP protocols, VRF, IPv6, QoS, traffic engineering, ITIL, network design, Ethernet testing methods, DWDM, xDSL, FTTx, AE, project management.
- Required Attributes: High level of attention to detail, critical thinking, and analytical ability. Ability to work effectively with internal and external customers in a team environment. Aptitude for learning new material and skills quickly. Able to take the initiative and to work with or without regular supervision. Constantly seeking improvement and knowledge.
BTC Broadband offers competitive pay and excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, and more. Please fax or mail your resume to Human Resources, 6 E. Breckenridge, Bixby, OK 74008. Fax (918)366-2044 or email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.